USDOT Resource Links   State Transportation Web Sites   US Department of Transportation  Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
What is a USDOT Number? Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must
be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT Number. Also, commercial intrastate hazardous materials carriers who haul quantities
requiring a safety permit must register for a USDOT Number. The USDOT Number serves as a unique identifier when collecting and monitoring a
company’s safety information acquired during audits, compliance reviews, crash investigations, and inspections.
More...  Federal Highway Administration DOT
Some States Require USDOT Numbers
In select states (see green highlighted states or list below), all registrants
of commercial motor vehicles, even intrastate and non-Motor Carrier
registrants, are required to obtain a USDOT Number as a necessary
condition for commercial vehicle registration.
* Information provided on this page is intended direct individuals to the
authority's that can answer all of your questions. Please research thoroughly.